TEAM # 23// MATERIALIS DANICA
PRESS RELEASE: A revolutionary service that helps value driven consumers to create sustainable homes, while helping to build sustainable communities.
LIVE WELL, FEEL GOOD & TOUCH THE GROUND LIGHTLY…the ultimate online platform to help you create a beautiful, healthy and sustainable home and community at large.
TRACK YOUR TEAM COMPETE IN
WILDCARD CHALLENGE + NEW CITIES CHALLENGE
Helping the building industry to shift from a linear to a circular system by raising the consumers’ demand for sustainable and circular materials and products for the domestic market.
MATERIAL AND PRODUCTS SUPPLIERS:
- We want to partner with designers and manufacturers of sustainable products that want to increase their sales revenue and be associated with other high quality, sustainable products and designers.
- We want to partner with Award winning and/or expert designers and architects who want to increase their revenue through attracting more business in return for providing qualified product reviews and content for our platform
- We want to eventually partner with manufacturers that can create locally made products from (open-source) designs
We are targeting consumers (or people purchasing on their behalf) who are interested in creating a home or purchasing products for the home that align with their personal values and desires, particularly with respect to sustainability. This may be through consumer SM platforms or relevant APIs.
MATERIALIS DANICA is a revolutionary location based service that connects conscientious consumers with a growing network of sustainable and circular suppliers in the Nordics through an online digital platform. We offer an industry changing way of developing your home or business space, in an exciting, fashionable and sustainable way.
We are reaching out to Nordic material suppliers and product retailers and bringing them together on our digital platform to facilitate a simplified, design led retail experience for consumers looking to build from scratch, renovate or simply purchase new sustainable products that align with their personal values. This is facilitated through our extensive search items and design collections that we create through our ‘design palette’ interface. Consumers can then choose to further customise and get additional design advice through a freemium model.
Every product we sell is certified through a Bronze to Gold rating system for both Sustainability and Design Value. Products that are not already certified by top quality industry rating systems such as Cradle2Cradle will be chosen and certified by our board of experts made up of industry leaders and award winners in the fields of design and sustainability. Through our website users can read about all of our experts and see our shop through their eyes. In future we hope to expand this rating service to include selected customers who are building up their own sustainable or circular businesses. They will become our ‘Sustainability Ambassadors’ and we will also publicise their profile through our site.
Our platform is an opportunity for sustainable and circular suppliers to gain visibility but also to be rated and certified by our system or other existing sustainability certifications; It is also an opportunity for products to gain recognition by being referred or recommended by some of the most popular designers and architects in the sustainability scene and vice versa.
To influence our consumers’ choices, we focus on values such as convenience, sustainability, health and trustworthy and simplified design advice by our selected board of experts. We rely on a system of certifications and experts’ rates to build trust and incentivize suppliers to shift towards circularity. Ultimately, we believe that to make circular design a reality, our intelligent technologial system will display the products and materials basing on distance and location, to allow the users to shop as local – thus sustainable – as possible.
Our model starts as a third party that allows users to meet our partnered retailers in person.
Why are we different?
- When it comes to a sustainable and circular design digital platform, we have a unique brand positioning, standing apart from technical and industry-centred platforms, and focussing on design and emotional values instead, which makes our service consumer’s friendly and appealing.
- Our location based filter helps our customers decide personally what kind of Societal Imapct they want to make. We support their decision by giving a proportion of profits back to the same areas they support to help build their circular networks.
- We are designers ourselves with significant experience in the field of award wining domestic design. sustainable design and sustainable rating systems, and our mission is to help sustainable and circular products/materials suppliers to expand across the consumer markets by adding our curated design layer and levelling up their brand positioning.
- By partnering with trusted architects and designers within the sustainability scene, we believe we can build a strong community of sustainabilty ambassadors, while mutually increasing the profile of the designers and suppliers too.
- We will constantly improve our rating and categorisation system (algorythm) to provide users with a design and a sustainable ratings, which also strategically incentivises retailers to pay for certifications to stay at the top of the product search
Above: our system brings together (1) retailer/suppliers who use our platform as medium to expand their market options into the consumer world. (1) Consumers use our platform to search for products and they are connected to the retailer at the moment of purchase. (1a) Selected architects/designers rate the products that are submitted to our website
Above: the main source of income comes from products’ sales, from which we take a small cut. Additionally, retailers/suppliers can pay to get higher certification rate
(can you explain this?)
Above: eventually, our model may evolve in a “freemium” model, meaning consumers can pay an extra fee/membership to get extra services such as consultation or customised material and products palettes.
Our vision is a world without waste, in which materials stay in circulation.
To add to our sustainable mission and vision, part of the profit will be delivered to the specific region or city where the products come from to support local sustainable and circular projects.
By enabling our customers to use this slider to choose how far to cast their net when searching for products, we help put our consumers in control of their own Societal Imapct by providing them with the knowledge and tools to make conscientious choices and choose sustainable and circular products.
We will join the Sustain Nordic initiave: http://www.sustainordic.com/about/. Through our project we also aim at facilitating the achievement of sustainability in the Nordic countries, most prominently through Item #3.
In accordance to the SDGs, our project aims at achieving sustainability by addressing some of the goals:
- Goal 3 – Good health and wellbeing
- Goal 11 – Sustainable cities and communities
- Goal 12 – Responsible prodution and consumption
- Goal 13 – Climate action
- Goal 17 – Partnerships for the goals
- Economic: WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO IMPROVE LOCAL ECONOMIES, RATHER THAN GIVING THEIR MONEY TO GLOBAL CORPORATE GIANTS, BY ALLOWING CONSUMERS TO CHOOSE WHERE THEY PURCHASE THEIR PRODUCTS FROM AND IN TURN WHERE WE RETURN 10% OF THEIR PROFIT. THE OPEN SOURCE-LOCAL MANUFACTURE MODEL WE PROPOSE TO EXPAND INTO ALLOWS THE LOCAL ECONOMIES TO GROW EVEN MORE BY GIVING THEM MORE OPPORTUNITIES TO CREATE AND SELL PRODUCTS LOCALLY
- Social: THE PLATFORM ALLOWS THE CREATION OF A SUSTAINBLY DRIVEN COMMUNITY AND CULTURE. ALL PRODUCTS ARE CERTIFIED TO ENSURE THEY ARE ETHICALLY SOURCED AND MADE.
- Environmental: WE WILL ONLY SELL PRODUCTS THAT ARE SUSTAINABLY (& IN FUTURE, CIRCULAR) CERTIFIED AND THEREFORE MAKING A BETTER ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT. THE EDUCATIONAL ASPECT OF THE SITE ALLOWS US TO EDUCATE CONSUMERS ON WHAT IT MEANS TO BE SUSTAINABLE AND CIRCULAR AND HELP THEM TRANSFORM THEIR LIVES AND THE COMMUNITIES AROUND THEM.
* For our platform mockup – please use arrows to navigate from page to page rather than links as this is just a visual mockup, which is in progress.
Letizia Alianelli – Strategic and Service designer:
My vision is that of using design to create a better future for people and the planet. The DTU Circularity challenge represents an opportunity to explore new ways of living and educate people on the benefits of circularity. Currently undertaking Masters in Strategic Design and Entrepreneurship – in Design
Jo Aitken – Sustainable Designer and Architect MAA:
I am a sustainability and future focused architecture with over a decade of award winning experience on 4 continents. I have worked on several pilot projects for sustainable technologies and sustainability rating schemes and am incredibly interested in how I can step outside of a consultancy based work method to a broader platform to allow a much broader range of customers to create sustainable homes. I am currently undertaking a Post-Graduate Masters in Strategic Design and Entrepreneurship – with a focus on Sustainability and Future tech.
- LETIZIA ALIANELLI/ email@example.com
- JO AITKEN/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Advisors and Potential Collaborators:
- DANICA SWIFT – 15+ years of Global Consumer Marketing and Distribution Experience
- KELSEY WATERS – 10+ years of E-Commerce Marketing and Social Media Communications
- FRANK WISELER – Challenge Mentor – Circular Economy Digital Solutions Specialist
Required Team Member / Assistance:
- WEB / SOFTWARE DEVELOPER – Several options available
- BUSINESS / ENTREPRENEURIAL ADVISORY
CHALLENGE BRIEFS THAT YOU HAVE TAKEN POINT OF DEPARTURE IN:
- Wildcard Challenge